Sunday 19 May 2013

In praise of Ravelry.com

 

When "Yarnsmith" came my way in 2007 I was an experienced knitter (so I thought), I'd crocheted one project (at college - and not been over enamoured), could embroider and quilt proficiently so I considered myself an all round crafter. Since then I have discovered felting, spinning, dyeing and weaving - all to greater or lesser success and now, as mentioned previously, am hooked on crochet. However, it's the knitting which has undergone the biggest overhall and this is, in no small part, thanks to Ravelry.com

I don't remember how I first came across the site, whether it was a recommendation or I 'stumble upon', but I do remember the effect - all these talented people sharing their skills and expertise, all the groups to join, patterns to search through, yarns to try - it's an internet "7th heaven". 

Looking back my self-image of "experienced" knitter was woefully short of the mark! I'd never used a charted pattern, tried different cast-on techniques (always using the two needle method my Great Aunt had taught me) added beads as embellishments, attempted the magic loop or designed my own project. I know have 93 projects listed, 226 favourites from other users, 162 projects "queued" (waiting to be cast/hooked on) and 397 items in my library - yes, I've even uploaded all my pattern mags and books! 

You can take a look at my Ravelry profile here, so, if you haven't yet discovered the delights of this "facebook for yarnies" get over there right away - a whole new world awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment